Friday, February 06, 2009

More of the same?

It's been a bit of a slow week in comicdom, but I thought I would post a short blurb on some of the comic shop talk I've been hearing for awhile now concerning Amazing Spider-man. It all started when I was being my usual geeky self while reading a TPB containing the Death of Captain Stacy arc. I just happened to notice because I had just read ASM #585 how strikingly similar it is to ASM #89. For anyone who hasn't read ASM #89 just read ASM #585 and replace Menace with 'ol Doc Ock and you are pretty much good to go. And so after further investigation (which required reading extensive Spidey back issues, man my job is tough!) I can see a lot of similarities between current ASM and the ASM of the early '70's. A couple of older fans have also told me this but I didn't really notice it until I just happened to be reading the two aforementioned books one after the other, after all I wasn't born when ASM #89 hit the stands. Still I found the similarities striking! The older guys don't seem to mind because the nostalgia kicks in and they love it, and for me I wasn't alive yet so it's all new to me, and of course if you are a One More Day/Brand New Day irrational hater who still isn't buying the book then you don't know what's going on anyway!
What do you guys think? Is it ok for Amazing Spider-man to give a fresh face to old ideas? Or do you not find it fresh at all, merely a rehashed idea?







No comments: